Lane Theological Seminary, Cincinnati

Title

Lane Theological Seminary, Cincinnati

Description

Lane Theological Seminary was founded in Cincinnati in 1830. The seminary was affiliated with the Presbyterian Church. Between 1832 and 1850, Reverend Lyman Beecher served as the head of the school. The seminary's troubled history reflected the challenges that the Presbyterian Church, as well as the state of Ohio and the nation, faced in the nineteenth century. Within a few years of its founding, the seminary was divided over the issue of slavery. The school's board of directors tried to prohibit students from supporting abolitionism in 1834. Theodore Weld and approximately forty other students left the school. Thirty-two of these students enrolled at Oberlin College.

Although enrollment was low after the slavery controversy, the seminary continued to offer classes throughout the nineteenth century and well into the twentieth century. The school suffered from financial difficulties and Beecher was forced to lease campus land to private homeowners. In 1932, Lane Theological Seminary became part of the McCormick Theological Seminary in Chicago. In the years that followed, evidence of the campus slowly began to disappear. Old buildings were torn down to make way for residential construction. The last remnant of the old seminary was demolished in 1956.

This photographic reproduction from an engraving depicts Lane Seminary in about 1848.

Description Source

"Lane Theological Seminary," Ohio History Central, Ohio History Connection, accessed 11/20/2017.

Creator

Howe, Henry (1816-1893)

Publisher

Oberlin College Archives

Date

ca. 1848

Rights

The photographs provided here by the Oberlin College Archives for the College Library server may be downloaded for one-time personal or classroom use, if not for financial gain. For all other uses of Archives' photographs--including reproduction in a brochure, scholarly article or book, or other publication (digital or otherwise)--users must seek permission from the Oberlin College Archives (email: archive@oberlin.edu; telephone 440-775-8014). Archives URL: http://www.oberlin.edu/archive/. Images from the Oberlin College Archives are protected by U.S. Copyright law.

Relation

Published in Historical Collections of Ohio by Henry Howe (Cincinnati: Bradley and Anthony, 1849).

Format

Photographic reproduction from an engraving

Type

reproductions; engravings

Files

fletcher152.jpg

Citation

Howe, Henry (1816-1893), “Lane Theological Seminary, Cincinnati,” The Oberlin Sanctuary Project, accessed February 20, 2018, http://sanctuary.oberlincollegelibrary.org/items/show/57.