Browse Items (5 total)

  • Tags: ministers

Finney_House_nd_thumb.jpg
In 1835, the Oberlin Collegiate Institute (later, Oberlin College) built this Gothic Revival house for Charles Grandison Finney, who came to Oberlin that year as the head of the theological department. The year that Finney became Oberlin's second…

1916.6.jpg
Charles Grandison Finney (1792-1875),flamboyant evangelist of the Second Great Awakening, came to the Oberlin Collegiate Institute (subsequently Oberlin College) in 1835. He served as its second President from 1851-1865.For nearly a decade, from 1824…

John_Morgan_c1850_mod.jpg
Professor John Morgan (1802-1884) taught briefly at Lane Theological Seminary, where he was sympathetic with students active in the Anti-Slavery Society and permitted discussions of abolition in his classroom. The Lane trustees felt such talk in a…

procession_Jackson_1970.jpg
View of Commencement speaker Jesse L. Jackson, administrators and faculty filing through the Memorial Arch from Tappan Square, where the exercises were held. Jackson, walking with Oberlin College President Robert K. Carr, received an honorary…

Jesse_Jackson_1970.jpg
Jesse L. Jackson was the Commencement speaker and the recipient of an honorary degree from Oberlin in May 1970, just weeks after the May 4 tragedy. He was the director of Operation Breadbasket for the Southern Christian Leadership Conference since…
Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-json, omeka-xml, rss2