Browse Items (4 total)

  • Tags: professors

Fairchild_house_colored_ca1860s.jpg
The Fairchild House was a place of refuge for John Price, the slave forcibly removed from the custody of slave catchers in Wellington by people of that town and of Oberlin in September 1858. James Harris Fairchild and his family agreed to harbor…

Tags:

Finney_House_nd_thumb.jpg
In 1835, the Oberlin Collegiate Institute (later, Oberlin College) built this Gothic Revival house for Charles Grandison Finney, who came to Oberlin that year as the head of the theological department. The year that Finney became Oberlin's second…

Mahan_Morgan_house_cabinet_ca1870s_thumb.jpg
The Oberlin Collegiate Institute (later Oberlin College) built this house in 1835 for Asa Mahan, the former trustee at Lane Seminary who became Oberlin's first president. Mahan was supportive of students and faculty who wanted to discuss abolition in…

John_Morgan_c1850_mod.jpg
Professor John Morgan (1802-1884) taught briefly at Lane Theological Seminary, where he was sympathetic with students active in the Anti-Slavery Society and permitted discussions of abolition in his classroom. The Lane trustees felt such talk in a…
Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-json, omeka-xml, rss2